THE BIRTH REGISTRATON PROCEDURE
1. The birth of every child is to be registered in the district where the birth occurred.
2. There is no de jure or de-facto discrimination between mothers and fathers in the registration process. The father’s name is entered even if the parents are not married.
3. It is the duty of the father or mother or both to report the birth of a child for registration. In the case of the death or the incapacity of the father and mother, one of the following persons is allowed by law to report the birth for registration.
(a) The owner of the premises in which the child is born.
(b) A person present at the birth
(c) A person having charge of the child to furnish the prescribed particulars of registration.
4. The informant will be required to produce evidence of birth, such as a clinical weighing card, (in the absence of this a baptismal certificate issued not more than 5 years after the birth of the child).
5. A Registration Assistant administers a questionnaire, (the Birth Report Form ‘A’) to the informant. Information thereby collected is recorded in the Register of Births following which a Birth Certificate is issued.
6. The birth should be registered, free of charge within 12 months of occurrence. Registration outside this period attracts a prescribed fee.
7. The law establishing birth registration makes provision for late registration of births. It however, stipulates that the birth shall not be registered after the expiration of 12 months from the date of birth except with the written authority of the Registrar of births and Deaths and upon payment of the prescribed fee
8. The parent or child can apply for a certified copy of entry in the Register of births any time the need arises.
NOTE: ONLY THE FULL NAME OF THE CHILD SHALL BE USED FOR THE PURPOSES OF BIRTH REGISTRATION. SHORT FORMS OF NAMES AND TITLES ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
The mothers name shall always be THE FULL MAIDEN NAME of the mother.
Applicants should note that for all General Search Requests, BDR may require additional information from applicants or request applicants to visit BDR Office for interviewing in order to complete the search request.
Particular Search with Amendments will attract additional payments to be made to BDR, applicants should check amount indicated in the fee list.